Sunday, January 20, 2008

Roastin' stylie

Today I roasted the first parts of the first experiment that I'm doing with my roaster. I installed it yesterday evening and then my mom came to town. Today I worked in my new founded laboratory for about 5 hours. It's sunday, so I took a little bit of a break in the morning.

I started off with the costa rican coffee. My experiment is to roast the same weight of bean to different set max temps on the machine for a set amount of time. My weight is 1.51 lb, my time is 13 minutes. The variable, temperature, changes in incriments of 10 from 310 F and 410 F. I record the beginning weight, the ending weight, the set temperature and the final temperature, as well as the highest temperature reached during the roast and at what time in the thirteen minute roast period. I hope to find out several things what is happenning to the bean in the various stages of it's roasts, as well as find it's ideal range for bringing out the flavor. I will be cupping each one the following day and recording the flavors, mouth feels, cup intensities, and my personal opinions.

Today I roasted trials 1-3 (310 F, 320 F, 330 F). at a set time of 310 F, for a set time of 13 minutes, the first trial didn't even go into the second pop. The second trial had the same results. The third trial peaked right before the second pop.

After this trial is finished, I will experiment in changing the set temperatures at different times during the roast.

My goal is to find a temperature that brings the coffee in the first crack and then settles it out right before the second crack, and a temperature change, will occur.

Soon I hope to get photos up on this site to show more of what is going on inside the walls at rivertown roasters.

Grand Opening is Feb. 9th, 2008, From 10am to 3pm.

No comments: